The mission of Art League Houston is to connect the community through diverse, dynamic, and creative experiences that bring people together to see, make, and talk about contemporary visual art.
Founded in 1948, Art League Houston has radically evolved beyond the parameters of traditional art leagues. While keeping the core of the art league model – a robust membership deeply committed to the value of visual art in contemporary life – Art League Houston embraces contemporary approaches to curatorial programming, community-building, art education, and outreach to under-served communities.
- ALH Main Gallery (Approximately 1200 sq. ft. Floor Space)
- ALH Front Gallery (Approximately 600 sq. ft. Floor Space)
- ALH Hallway Space (Approximately 200 sq. ft. Floor Space)
- ALH Sculpture Garden (Approximately 1000 sq. ft. Floor Space)
Open Call for Submissions
Open Call for Submissions are reviewed once a year.
NEXT DEADLINE is November 30, 2019
Art League Houston will consider proposals by local, regional, national, and international (emerging and established) artists/curators in all media that include the following:
- Artworks and projects that has not been previously shown in Houston
- Clarity and articulation of a central idea
- Strong artistic quality
- Artworks and projects that address social, political and cultural issues relevant to the local community
- Relevancy to current dialogues in contemporary art
- Opportunities for compelling ancillary programming such as performances, film, lectures, panel discussions, round tables etc.
- Availability of curator and artist(s) to play an integral role in execution of exhibition and events
- Platform artists/curators who reflect the local community
Open Call Review Process
The open call artwork submissions are reviewed by the Artist Advisory Board made up of artists and arts professionals from the region. The proposal selection process is highly competitive as Art League Houston receives many submissions each year. Artists are selected on overall quality and innovation.
As an artist centered organization, Art League Houston is committed to paying equitable artist fees to artists who participate in our programs. Art League Houston is proud to be W.A.G.E Certificated.
Artist fees are as follows:
- Main Gallery: $1,800
- Front Gallery: $1,100
- Hallway Space: $400
- Sculpture Garden: $1,100
Exhibitions proposals are accepted online through Submittable.com. Please provide all of the below information ONLINE via www.Submittable.com. We do not accept hard copies or CD's of your proposal under any circumstances.
All proposals must include the following information:
- Visual Artists — 10 digital images of work. Image files must be in a .JPG format
- Please provide a corresponding list of images including title, year, medium and dimensions for each piece
- Video and performance artists — for video, include a YouTube or Vimeo link
- Videos must not exceed more than 3 minutes. Please provide a corresponding list of video clips including title, year, medium and dimensions for each piece.
Up to 500 words including the following information:
- Title and description of proposed project
- Special requirements, if any
- Specify Main Gallery, Front Gallery, Hallway Space or Sculpture Garden
Include estimated expenses and descriptions for:
- Tell us a little about yourself
- 500 words
- Artist bio must be saved as a PDF, text file (.txt), or Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx) not to exceed one page.
- Resume(s)/CV must be saved as a PDF, text file (.txt), or Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx) not to exceed two pages.
- When proposing a group exhibition, save and submit all the artists' resumes in one PDF, text file (.txt), or Microsoft Word document.
***The selection process may take 6-8 weeks for completion. Once selection has been made, all artists will be notified by email. Please do not call or email to inquire about results.
ALH Exhibition Programming
Art League Houston selects visual arts programming using a hybrid of traditional approaches employing a combination of:
- Open call in an effort to be open and democratic
- Artist advisory board input to ensure ALH is reflective, relevant and responsive to the local community
- Focused curatorial vision to foster a thoughtful and critical exploration of current issues
Annual ALH Exhibits:
- Texas Artist/Patron Of The Year
- Lifetime Achievement Award in the Visual Arts (biennially)
- ALH Teen, Student & Instructor Show
- The Marty: Healing Arts Benefit
- ArtBound! Student Show