The mission of Art League Houston is to connect the community through diverse, dynamic, and creative experiences that bring people together to see, make, and talk about contemporary visual art.
Founded in 1948, Art League Houston has radically evolved beyond the parameters of traditional art leagues. While keeping the core of the art league model – a robust membership deeply committed to the value of visual art in contemporary life – Art League Houston embraces contemporary approaches to curatorial programming, community-building, art education, and outreach to under-served communities.
- ALH Main Gallery (Approximately 1200 sq. ft. Floor Space)
- ALH Front Gallery (Approximately 600 sq. ft. Floor Space)
- ALH Hallway Space (Approximately 200 sq. ft. Floor Space)
- ALH Sculpture Garden (Approximately 1000 sq. ft. Floor Space)
Open Call for Submissions
Open Call for Submissions are reviewed twice a year.
NEXT DEADLINE is November 30, 2016.
Art League Houston will consider proposals that include:
- Cross into public and social spheres
- incorporate ideas of social practice and social justice
- Platform local, regional, national, and international artists
- Present artists who reflect the myriad of cultural communities living in Houston
- Embrace relevancy to conversations in contemporary art
- Offer opportunities for compelling ancillary programming
Open Call Review Process
The open call artwork submissions are reviewed by the Artist Advisory Board made up of artists and arts professionals from the region. The proposal selection process is highly competitive as Art League Houston receives many submissions each year. Artists are selected on overall quality and innovation.
As an artist centered organization, Art League Houston is committed to paying equitable artist fees to artists who participate in our programs. Art League Houston is proud to be W.A.G.E Certificated.
Artist fees are as follows:
- Main Gallery: $1,800
- Front Gallery: $1,100
- Hallway Space: $400
- Sculpture Garden: $1,100
Exhibitions proposals are accepted online through Submittable.com. Please provide all of the below information ONLINE via www.Submittable.com. We do not accept hard copies or CD's of your proposal under any circumstances.
Please Note: THE SELECTION PROCESS IS BLIND. Please do not put your name on your proposal, resume and image/video list(s). If you're proposing a group show, please identify artists as artist 1,2 3 ...
All proposals must include the following information:
- Visual Artists — 10 digital images of work. Image files must be in a .JPG format. (Please provide a corresponding list of images including title, year, medium and dimensions for each piece).
- Video and performance artists — for video, include a YouTube or Vimeo link. Videos must not exceed more than 3 minutes. (Please provide a corresponding list of video clips including title, year, medium and dimensions for each piece).
Up to 500 words including the following information:
- Title and description of proposed project
- Identify artists as artist a,b,c, etc.
- Special requirements, if any
- Specify Main Gallery, Front Gallery, Hallway Space or Sculpture Garden
- Resume(s)/CV must be saved as a PDF, text file (.txt), or Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx) not to exceed two pages.
- When proposing a group exhibition, save and submit all the artists’ resumes in one PDF, text file (.txt), or Microsoft Word document.
ALH Exhibition Programming
Art League Houston selects visual arts programming using a hybrid of traditional approaches employing a combination of:
- Blind open call in an effort to be open and democratic
- Artist advisory board input to ensure ALH is reflective, relevant and responsive to the local community
- Focused curatorial vision to foster a thoughtful and critical exploration of current issues
Annual ALH Exhibits:
- Texas Artist/Patron Of The Year
- Lifetime Achievement Award in the Visual Arts (biennially)
- ALH Student & Instructor Show
- The Marty: Healing Arts Benefit
- ArtBound! Student Show